Are you gearing up for the holidays? The season is a time of joy and celebration, but it can also be hazardous for your pet. From poisonous plants to choking hazards, read on to learn about five holiday dangers that could harm your furry friend. Keep your pet safe and happy this holiday season by being aware of these dangers!
#1: Delicious food is dangerous for your pet
What are the holidays without overflowing tables of mouthwatering dishes? However, many favorite holiday foods are toxic for pets, so ensure it’s paws off when it comes to the following:
- Turkey and ham, especially the bones
- Chives, leeks, onions, and garlic
- Unbaked bread dough
- Raisins and currants
- Macadamia nuts
#2: Delightful decor leads to disaster
Adorning your home with twinkling lights, glittering tinsel, and seasonal flora is an excellent way to create a holiday atmosphere, but many decorations can pose a risk to your pet. When decorating your home, ensure your four-legged friend cannot reach fragile, electrical, or toxic items. For instance, glass ornaments and extension cords can harm your pet if they are broken or chewed on, while Christmas tree stand water and holiday plants can cause serious problems if ingested.
#3: Overnight guests pack multiple hazards
When you welcome family and friends into your home, they may unknowingly tote along hazards in their suitcases and purses. Keep guest bedroom doors closed to ensure your pet cannot sniff out medications, granola and protein bars, chocolate, sugar-free gum, and other potential dangers in your guests’ belongings.
#4: Parties pose a problem
If your New Year’s Eve party becomes a wild celebration, guests may drop food and drinks, leaving these unattended “treats” out for your pet. Toxic foods and cocktails need to be kept away from your furry pal, as do party poppers, glow sticks, and other favors. Additionally, protect your pet from overeager guests determined to make a furry friend by providing your four-legged family member with a quiet sanctuary that is off-limits to people.
#5: Gifts and toys turn into hazardous items
Small toys, batteries, and gift ribbons can lead to a gastrointestinal obstruction or a toxicity issue for your pet. Pick up small items when children are done playing with them to prevent a blockage or kidney damage.
With the extra commotion and activity surrounding the holiday season, your furry pal is more likely to get into mischief. If they run afoul of a holiday hazard, seek emergency treatment or contact our team for help.